To a client, the home is a place of welcoming comfort and safety. But for home care employees, entering a client’s home will always entail some level of risk. From trip hazards to missing safety devices or employee inattention, there are many opportunities for a claim to arise.
To minimize the risk to employees and clients, it’s important for care workers to make sure a home is safe when first entering. Here’s a helpful home care home safety checklist of items your employees should always check to ensure a safe home environment.
Home Care Home Safety Checklist Summary
When assisting a client remember to check the following to ensure a safe environment.
Before entering, ask yourself…
- Are you wearing shoes with good tread?
- Do your clothes fit properly?
- Are you comfortable lifting objects up to 25 pounds?
- Is the home well fitted for the client?
- Is the home in good condition?
- Rooms are well lit with walkways clear of tripping or slipping hazards
- Heavy objects are stored on lower shelves
- Objects with sharp edges are padded
- Does the bedroom allow for safe handling?
- Assisted devices are freely available
- Unused drawers and cabinets are closed
- Carpets are in good condition
- Is the bathroom properly fitted?
- Non-skid mats or decals are in the shower to prevent slipping
- Grab bars are properly located in the shower and near toilets
- Contains clear area to perform daily tasks
- Does the kitchen meet higher safety standards?
- Smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are accessible
- Stove/oven is turned off when not in use
- Are you protecting their digital footprint?
- Limit personal information shared online
- Only bank and shop from trusted networks and devices
- Log out of accounts and make sure passwords are protected
- Are they being safely transported?
- All distractions have been eliminated
- Complete a vehicle inspection
- Mirrors are in proper position
- Steering, lights and signals are in proper order
- Observe and respect all traffic laws to avoid accidents
For more home care risk management tips, explore Lockton Home Care’s library of blogs.